FAQ

This answer is not meant to scare you, but it is real. Mold can grow in the lungs and on the spine. It can cause paralysis, eye fungus, and the toxic effects of fungal exposure and deadly mycotoxins can compromise the immune system. Reoccurring bronchitis is commonly caused from tainted indoor environments. Too many times, testing and removal is performed after the damage is done, this is why we promote the eradication of even the possibility of mold, especially in surroundings that you spend most of your time in. In rare cases, mold can even produce arsenic gas and cause permanent brain damage. People that suffer from allergies, breathing impairments, nasal and sinus congestion, nose and throat irritation, and migraine headaches should make a call to GREAT their Top Priority.

There are a large amount of Condos and Apartment complexes that have had one or more units that suffered some kind of water damage and consequently, mold infestation. Because of the close proximity, mold can spread from unit to unit.

Unfortunately this is Not true. Building materials, lumber and trusses sitting outside in the rain too long, can all become infested, and the mold can show up several months after the structure is complete. Some molds will lay dormant until moisture re-activates them.

The simple answer is No. It can seal the problem for a short while, but it will return. After our treatment plan is complete, that is a good time to prime, and we recommend the use of an oil based primer. Water based primers are ok as well, but not as effective.

Bleach does not kill mold, it only removes the color. When you treat mold in your bathroom, you effectively eliminate the appearance; but it comes back in the same place, doesn’t it? Not only does it not work, but the when the mold comes back, its roots become even more resilient, not to mention that bleach is an incredibly caustic chemical.

We can take samples to test for mold and send them to our lab for analysis, although not all molds are detectable. Most of our clients detect mold with their nose or eyes. If you see mold in one area of your dwelling, be assured it is everywhere in that building, and when it’s blatantly visible, there usually isn’t a need for the added expense of testing.

Exposure increases when indoor moldy materials becomes dried, damaged or disturbed, causing spores and other mold cells to be released into the air and consequently inhaled. Elevated exposure to mold may also occur if a person directly handles moldy materials or accidentally ingests non edible molds.

Mold only needs a few things to grow and multiply; Nutrients (food), a suitable place to grow, and moisture. Molds can grow almost anywhere there is enough moisture or high humidity. The Moisture can come from our bodies (sweat, wet hair on pillows, breath), steam, moist air from outdoors, tiny plumbing leak, clothes that aren’t fully dried , and a host of other reasons. Mold often appears as a staining or fuzzy growth on furniture, walls, ceilings, or anything made of wood or paper. It can smell like an earthy, or musty odor, though oftentimes it’s undetectable. Mold colors range from white, gray, brown, black, yellow, or green.

Mold exists in all structures, virtually everywhere, floating in the air and on all surfaces. Many building materials such as wood, sheetrock, etc. provide the “food” that can support mold growth. Even dust that has settled on these materials or furniture can be a food source for molds. Mold needs to eat to survive, and it’s perfectly happy eating your home, if you allow it.

But health risks arise when the levels are too high, and most people don’t even consider the possibility of an infected home or workplace; most Doctor’s don’t even delve into the chance that their patient’s condition is due to indoor air quality issues, even though the media has identified and covered several instances of mold making people sick. According to the EPA, all indoor mold growth should be removed promptly, no matter what type(s) of mold are present, or whether or not it can produce toxic mold. It’s not a myth, prolonged exposure to mold increases health risks.

Mold facts

What is black mold

While occupational exposure to airborne pollutants such as coal dust and asbestos have long been known to cause lung cancer, mesothelioma, and pneumoconiosis (black lung), the effects of being exposed to airborne contaminants, especially bio-aerosols like mold, in homes and non-industrial work sites such as office buildings, are just being realized. In the last 10 years, micro-organisms and mold have been concluded to be the primary source of indoor air contamination in as many as 50% of homes and offices studied since 1994. This realization can in part be attributed to a new interdisciplinary approach used in the evaluation of physical, chemical and microbiological constituents of indoor air environments.

What is black mold
What is Black Mold?

Mold is a type of fungi that grows in the natural environment all year round and is the single biggest cause of poor indoor air quality. There are thousands of species of mold which grow in a wide variety of colors. Mold is found everywhere both indoors and outdoors. Outdoors, molds live in the soil, on trees, plants, and on dead or decaying matter. In nature, mold helps break down organic material which helps recycle nutrients throughout the ecosystem. Mold growing indoors, however, presents a major health issue. Some species of mold like Aspergillus and Stachybotrys Chartarum can not only grow but can also reproduce into colonies indoors. Many times, mold is easily detected by a musty odor in places with high moisture like basements, crawl spaces, attics, and bathrooms. Mold produces microscopic cells called “spores” that easily spread through the air. These spores act like seeds, forming new mold growth colonies when they land in areas where the conditions are right for mold growth.

Mold is composed of linear chains of cells (hyphae) that branch and intertwine to form the fungus body (mycelium). All fungal cell walls contain (1-3)-beta-D-glucan, which is a medically significant glucose polymer that has immunosuppressive, mitogenic (causing mitosis or cell transformation) and inflammatory properties (characterized by eye, nose and throat irritation). This mold cell wall component also acts synergistically with bacterial endotoxins to produce airway inflammation following inhalation exposure.

HEALTH EFFECTS OF MOLD EXPOSURE

INFECTIONSSYMPTOMS
DermatitisRed itchy skin & rash
AsthmaAsthma may be caused and/or aggravated by mold exposure, resulting in coughing attacks,
wheezing and/or shortness of breath.
Allergic rhinitis or sinusitisRunny nose, nasal and/or sinus congestion, irritated eyes, scratchy throat and cough.
Allergic rhinitis or sinusitisRunny nose, nasal and/or sinus congestion, irritated eyes, scratchy throat, and cough.
Hypersensitivity pneumonitisTightness in chest, difficulty breathing, fever, cough and muscle aches.
Allergic rhinitis or sinusitisRunny nose, nasal and/or sinus congestion, irritated eyes, scratchy throat and cough.
Allergic rhinitis or sinusitisRunny nose, nasal and/or sinus congestion, irritated eyes, scratchy throat, and cough.
Hypersensitivity pneumonitisTightness in chest, difficulty breathing, fever, cough and muscle aches.