Mold exists in all structures, virtually everywhere, floating in the air and on all surfaces. Many building materials such as wood, sheetrock, etc. provide the “food” that can support mold growth. Even dust that has settled on these materials or furniture can be a food source for molds. Mold needs to eat to survive, and it’s perfectly happy eating your home, if you allow it.
But health risks arise when the levels are too high, and most people don’t even consider the possibility of an infected home or workplace; most Doctor’s don’t even delve into the chance that their patient’s condition is due to indoor air quality issues, even though the media has identified and covered several instances of mold making people sick. According to the EPA, all indoor mold growth should be removed promptly, no matter what type(s) of mold are present, or whether or not it can produce toxic mold. It’s not a myth, prolonged exposure to mold increases health risks.